SoapBoxville 2.0

February 20, 2013

Heart Aflame & Spiraling Lights — Shutter Speed / Motion Homework

Filed under: Photos — Tags: , , , — Carol Anne @ 4:49 pm

This week’s lessons focused on shutter speed and this week’s assignment was to use the concept of motion as part of the composition.

I’ve been sick since Saturday morning with what I’m starting to fear is the virus that will turn us all into zombies so I haven’t been up to taking a lot of photos, or thinking for that matter. I’m also pretty sure I was delirious while I was at the circus on Saturday night so I had to take photos last night in order to complete my homework assignment on time.

They say necessity is the mother of invention, well if that’s true then it’s equally true that desperation (and cough medicine) is the mother of creativity. To take this photo I lit my Vanilla Cupcake Yankee jar candle on placed it on my kitchen counter. I stood over the flame and moved my camera while I took several photos. I was trying for swirls but somehow lucked into this heart shape.

The other photo I submitted for grading is this shot of my Christmas Tree taken while zooming in and out. As I mentioned above, these photos were taken under the influence of fever and cough medicine so make of this one what you will.

7 Comments »

1. Your The Christmas tree is still up? That rules!

Comment by Cindy — February 20, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

2. Cindy, I keep it up all year. I’m currently looking for low cost artificial flowers and artificial flower garlands to adorn it with for spring. My dream (but it is not in my budget, nor has it ever been) is to one day own a full size white tree that I can put up in the summer and decorate it with red, white, and blue lights with a flag up top like a star.

Comment by Carol Anne — February 20, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

3. Hey,
    If I ever get tired of my huge white one I will send it your way. Too bad we don’t live closer together, you could use it a lot. Mine comes with 32 sets of lites on it.
    Move to Pa.—-free tree.
    Suz

Comment by Suz — February 21, 2013 @ 9:46 am

4. I love that last picture so much. And I’m not even on cough medicine (that probably says something about me)! It came out awesome.

Also, I love that you keep your tree up year round. That rocks my face off.

Comment by Tracie — February 21, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

5. Ha! Thanks Tracie. (spelled with an ie and not a y)

Comment by Carol Anne — February 23, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

6. Suz are the lights red, white and blue?

Comment by Carol Anne — February 23, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

7. Hi,

No its 32 sets of all white lites. You could add some colors to it, that would really be cool. It expands or collapses to fit the size you need kind of like a giant umbrella. I need it to be slim an tall but my girlfriend had it huge. People would come to her house to have their pics taken in front of the tree.

Comment by Suz — February 25, 2013 @ 10:13 am