SoapBoxville 2.0

February 2, 2013

Strawberry in Focus (when homework is fun)

Filed under: Photos — Tags: , , , , — Carol Anne @ 12:00 am

You have to like when homework is fun. This is my first photo as part of my first assignment for Intro to Digital Photography. The first part of the assignment asks us to concentrate on focus, to make sure the subject of the photo is the largest and most in-focus object in the image.

I found some old rhinestones and feathers I bought for my art appreciation class a few semesters ago and added the strawberry charm I bought from Kitson. I arranged them in a bowl on my kitchen counter with the under cabinet light on and climbed up on the first step of my step ladder to take the photo from above.

I used my macro lens to take this photo. I took it using the Aperture Priority setting with the aperture set to f2.8. The camera set the shutter speed to 1/80 and the ISO to 1000.

I was going for making the subject the most in focus by using a lower aperture setting but the more I look at this particular photo the more I think one could also say the framing by the feathers also creates an effect that allows the strawberry pendant to stand out.

10 Comments »

1. Very fun. I love hearing the background details of how you make your shots pretty!

Comment by Tracie — February 2, 2013 @ 7:07 am

2. OK, most of that was greek to me. Except for the picture itself. It is just a happy picture, and I’m not even a great fan of pink. I love that you share your photography with me! It’s got me looking around at my world differently; I’m SEEING things again that I had started taking for granted after living here for two and a half years.

Comment by Cindy — February 2, 2013 @ 8:02 am

3. Thanks. I’m learning as I go so I try to detail what I did so I can do it again. :)

Comment by Carol Anne — February 2, 2013 @ 8:33 am

4. Thank you Cindy. I’m glad you like my photography. I thought this class would be easy and I’d spend all day taking pictures, I was wrong. When his introductory letter said there’d be a lot of critical thinking involved he didn’t lie. So now I am compelled to look at everything differently and with a critical eye.

Comment by Carol Anne — February 2, 2013 @ 8:36 am

5. It’s a beautiful photo. You did a great job creating focus.

Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Comment by misssrobin — February 2, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

6. Thanks Robin! I hope your weekend is lovely as well.

Comment by Carol Anne — February 3, 2013 @ 7:32 am

7. I love looking at your photos.

Comment by Triplezmom — February 3, 2013 @ 10:23 am

8. Thanks!

Comment by Carol Anne — February 3, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

9. A lovely warm shot on a cold Monday morning, it made me think of a Valentine’s Day card cover. Thanks for a great picture.

Suz